Some apps make it difficult to cancel your account, in the hopes that people will get so frustrated with the process that they end up keeping their subscription. Luckily, Netflix isn't one of these apps.
It should only take a few minutes to cancel any Netflix account. The only hiccup is that you'll have to remember how you signed up for Netflix in the first place.
Here's how to cancel Netflix in three ways, depending on how you made your account. If you're not sure which one applies to you, try them out in order.
If you created your Netflix account through the website or a smart TV, this is probably the method you'll want to use.
1. Open any web browser and head to the Netflix website . Log into your account if you haven't already.
2. Click the downward-pointing arrow in the top-right corner of the page and then click Account.Go to "Account" to cancel your Netflix service. Dave Johnson/Insider
3. Near the top of the page, under Membership and Billing, click Cancel Membership and confirm your decision to cancel.If you don't see this, you're being billed by a third party. Dave Johnson/Insider
4. If you still have a DVD plan, click Cancel your DVD plan and confirm that you want to end it too.
If you don't see the option to cancel your account here, it means that you signed up for Netflix through a third-party. You should see some information that tells you who's running your Netflix account.
If you signed up for Netflix through the iPhone or iPad app, it probably means that your Netflix account is linked to your Apple ID. In this case, you'll need to cancel through the Apple ID menu.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad and tap your name at the top of the page.
2. In the Apple ID menu that opens, tap Subscriptions.Open your Apple ID Subscriptions menu. William Antonelli/Insider
3. Select Netflix from the list that appears, and then select Cancel Subscription. Confirm your choice.
Similarly, if you signed up for Netflix through the Android app, it's likely linked to your Google account. This means that you'll need to cancel through your Android's Play Store app.
1. Open the Play Store app on your Android and tap your profile icon in the top-right corner.
2. In the menu that opens, tap Payments & subscriptions, and then Subscriptions.You'll find Netflix in your "Subscriptions" menu. Google; William Antonelli/Insider
3. Select Netflix from your list of subscriptions, then select the Cancel Subscription option. Confirm your choice.
Dave Johnson is a technology journalist who writes about consumer tech and how the industry is transforming the speculative world of science fiction into modern-day real life. Dave grew up in New Jersey before entering the Air Force to operate satellites, teach space operations, and do space launch planning. He then spent eight years as a content lead on the Windows team at Microsoft. As a photographer, Dave has photographed wolves in their natural environment; he's also a scuba instructor and co-host of several podcasts. Dave is the author of more than two dozen books and has contributed to many sites and publications including CNET, Forbes, PC World, How To Geek, and Insider.
Read more Read less
Tech Reporter for Insider Reviews
William Antonelli (he/she/they) is a writer, editor, and organizer based in New York City. As a founding member of the Reference team, he helped grow Tech Reference (now part of Insider Reviews) from humble beginnings into a juggernaut that attracts over 20 million visits a month. Outside of Insider, his writing has appeared in publications like Polygon, The Outline, Kotaku, and more. He's also a go-to source for tech analysis on channels like Newsy, Cheddar, and NewsNation. You can find him on Twitter @DubsRewatcher , or reach him by email at [email protected] .
Read more Read less
Disclosure: Mathias Döpfner, CEO of Business Insider's parent company, Axel Springer, is a Netflix board member.
Chevron icon It indicates an expandable section or menu, or sometimes previous / next navigation options.more